Create your own map for the Science on a Sphere: Step-by-Step Directions
1) Download the "World SOS" image to your computer.
(Do not reduce the file size of the image. It is important that it is a high resolution image.)
2. Open your downloaded map in your favorite map program (below are recommended free programs)
- Windows Users: Paint program - Open Paint by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Paint.
- Mac Users: SeaShore - Download from http://seashore.sourceforge.net/
3. Ideas and data sources for map topics
- Thematic Map of World Demographics: The CIA Factbook, https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ is a great data source
- Research and map the migration patterns of certain birds or sea animals
- Show the locations of the the wonders of the world
4) Include a key. Ideally, the key will a separate image file, in order to include it on the Sphere as a "picture in picture".
Below is an example of a map key.
5) Write a short paragraph of explanation.
6) Cite all your sources.
7) There should be no spaces or special characters in the name of the map file.
- Good file name: bluewhales.jpg
- Bad file name: Jenni's Great Map!.jpg